& Bronce Henderson Winners of
2013 Annual Jim Conley
The Annual Jim Conley Tournament was held on Thursday,
August 22.There were twelve men that played in the tournament. The runners up were Juan Bitanga & David Louis. The games were close and very exciting. Many thanks to the men who participated on a beautiful morning. A big thank you to Will Sacco who ran the event and did a wonderful job. Much appreciation to him.
Wynn Sorkin Memorial Tournament
Steve Baum and Bob Wood won the 19th Annual Wynn Sorkin Memorial Tennis Tournament. The runners-up were Don Miller and Terry Way. There were 10 participants.
The Tournament was held on Monday, June 24, 2013 on a hot and humid day. A round robin, handicap (high-low pairings) doubles tournament for men/women 60 and older who are annual pass holders, the tournament honors Wynn Sorkin, a long term member and former vice president of the Albany Tennis Club. Wynn was also a well known Masters athlete in track and field, competing at the Empire State Games in the shot put, discus, hammer and javelin. He had always wanted to create a low-key, fun-filled tournament that was geared to senior players, and would not have a "one loss and out" format.
Each doubles team played played all the other teams in a one set match. All matches were played using no-ad scoring. Five games won each set. Cumulative games won in all matches determined the winners and runners-up. The winners won 20 games, and the runners-up won 16.
The winners and runners-up received engraved water bottles, bearing the name of the tournament, as prizes.
Submitted by Steve Steinhardt (Wynn Sorkin's son-in-law)
Letter from the Manager . . .
Dear ATC Member or Friend,
I am trying to put in place programs which have an instructional bent and strike the right balance of learning, playing, and activity. These will be for adults and juniors. I also want them to have some flexibility so, for example, you can sign up weekly (not for a long-term). They're coming!
For now, here are a ten things I would like you to know.
- On Sunday, Morning Mix (MM) 8-10am (really friendly group of intermediate level adults; we welcome you!) Community Tennis (CT) at 12:00 to 2:00pm ...many players sign up....call me at 438-8846 or email me if you plan to come. Remember, you can just show up too...but I appreciate receiving e-mails or phone calls so I have a sense of the turnout.
- Do you know we welcome singles players to Community Tennis too? Hey - I understand your preference of singles over doubles. You can play singles at Community Tennis (CT).
- EARLY BIRDS - Do you know there is a significant community of players who play at 7:00-8:00am? These are special people. Please know you are welcomed. If you are 3.0 - 3.5, you will fit in well. Even 4.0 players will find good competition here. E-mail me if you think you might be interested.
- M/W/F 10:30am - 12:00pm - Joe's Comrades - Talented Group of Men meet for primarily doubles (sometimes singles too); you need a 4.0+ game for these guys!
- Hitting Sessions at Dawn - Do you know Larry is an early riser? He often schedules lessons as early as 6:00am. So, if you would like a fun hitting session (or instruction) very early, just e-mail me. I will be happy to help you. Fees are discounted for early tennis by $5. ($30 hitting session (HS); $40 private lesson (PL)
- Evening HITTING SESSIONS? - I have very talented staffers/pros ready to hit with you. ..just e-mail me. $35 for 65 min.
- My junior programs are coming......there will be later afternoon opportunities throughout July and August and even a couple of 12-4pm camps in those months. More to come....
- Larry and Will Sacco offer a morning drill session to get you moving and improving. It will be offered 2x/weekly. Details to follow
- Anyone interested in the GROOVE program I started last year? E-mail me and let me know what day is good for you. Details to follow.
- Adult Learn n' Play Program .....geared toward beginners - advance beginners.
Thank You Volunteers
Last Saturday ATC members met at the courts, not to play but to work. We now have permanent hard plastic slats installed which will replace the fence windscreens flapping in the wind and the twist ties littering the courts. No more work parties putting up/taking down the screens.
About 34 volunteers came out to work together under the direction of Mike DeRossi and John Salamida who took the lead in this project, ordering the slats, and organizing the work party. It was good to see the courts in their raw state and envision the fun we will have this summer, when the lines are down, the nets are up and we can play protected from the wind.
A big Thank You to all who showed up and especially to John for his tireless effort in spearheading this project.
Howard Koff George Koh
NON - MEMBERS
The Albany Tennis Club is open to non-members. Come
play on our red clay courts for a small daily fee of $15.00.
Our manager or attendant will be on hand to greet you. If you
need a partner, we will do our best to arrange a match for you.
Memberships are available and you may find that
this is more economical if you plan to play often. We offer individual, couple, family, student and junior memberships. Don't know how to get involved? We have ATC Ambassadors who will call new members and invite them into our groups and programs. Visit
our membership page for more information.
Become a member, join today.
ONLINE MEMBERSHIP FORM
Interested in playing tennis?
Contact ATC Manager
Want a lesson or need a
Contact ATC Pro
Call for up-to-the-minute
court conditions when
weather looks questionable.
For the safety of our members and guests, ATC reserves the right to close the courts based on conditions.
| Larry has a long history of developing tennis players in the Albany area. Many club members have benefitted from his teaching and advice which he so generously offers. more...
Become a fan!